What is root canal treatment?
Root canal treatment is a procedure that involves removing the pulp from the decayed tooth. If your decayed tooth is left untreated, the healthy tissue surrounding the infected area will also start to decay, and an abscess may form. Many patients think the root canal procedure is very painful, but a pinch of pain is only felt when the filling is placed inside the teeth.
Signs and symptoms of having a root canal treatment
The best dentist in Newtown says that if you have the following signs and symptoms for a consistent period, you need a root canal procedure immediately. The sooner you receive the treatment; the more beneficial outcome will be for you. Here are some immediate signs.
- Constant tooth pain: Persistent tooth pain is an early symptom that needs root canal surgery. You may feel a deep pain in the bone of your tooth, face, and jaw.
- Sensitive to heat and cold: If you feel a sharp pain in your tooth while having coffee or ice cream, it is high time you need to visit a dentist and get a root canal treatment.
- Swollen gums: A swollen or bleeding gum is a sign that you might require a root canal procedure. The swollen gum is not painful but may be tender to the touch. It also causes foul odour in the mouth
- Discolouration of the tooth: Have you noticed that your teeth have become grayish-black in appearance? One of the best dental clinics in Newtown suggests that patients with discoloured teeth might be suffering from an underlying infection. This discolouration is visible primarily in the front anterior tooth. If you have discoloured tooth, It is always better to visit a dentist immediately.
- Loose tooth: If your teeth feel loose, you might suffer from tooth mobility and require immediate root canal surgery. Tooth mobility is mainly caused by the accumulation of acidic waste products around the root of a dying tooth.
Is root canal treatment painful?
Root canal procedures might sound painful and scary to many patients. But it is a wrong notion. Before surgery, dentists use anesthesia to numb your gums so no pain is felt. The dentist cleans the decayed and infected tooth and puts fillings in it. Post-surgery, your dentist will prescribe you antibiotics to recover quickly. One of the best dental clinics in Rajarhat stated that, at times, dentists might place a rubber dam around the infected tooth to prevent the spread of the infected material in your mouth.
An infection inside the mouth is sometimes ignored by the patients and is left untreated. It is better to consult a dentist immediately if you experience tooth pain for an extended period. Your doctor will examine the infected tooth and might proceed with a root canal surgery. Almost all patients recover shortly after the treatment.