Periodontists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of gum diseases. While regular visits to a general dentist are important, there are specific signs that indicate it’s time to schedule an appointment with a periodontist. Below, the best dental doctor in Newtown discusses these signs.
Warning signs you need to visit a periodontist
1. Gum Inflammation: If you notice that your gums are red, swollen, or tender, it may be a sign of gum inflammation or gingivitis. It is often caused by the build-up of plaque and bacteria along the gum line. Visiting a periodontist can help prevent the progression of gum disease and restore gum health.
2. Bleeding Gums: In case you consistently experience bleeding gums, it might be a sign of gum disease. Bleeding might sometimes be accompanied by bad breath and an unpleasant taste in your mouth. Consulting a periodontist is essential in this regard as they can help determine the underlying cause.
3. Receding Gums: According to a doctor from the best dental clinic in Rajarhat, receding gums, or gum recession, occur when the gum tissue starts to pull away from the teeth, exposing their roots. This can lead to tooth sensitivity and an increased risk of tooth decay. If you notice that your gum line is uneven, it’s important to reach out to a periodontist who can evaluate the severity of your gum recession and recommend appropriate treatment options.
4. Persistent Bad Breath: While occasional bad breath is normal, persistent halitosis can be a sign of an underlying dental issue, such as gum disease, explains a dental surgeon in Newtown. When bacteria accumulate in the pockets between your teeth and gums, they can cause an unpleasant odor. A periodontist can identify the root cause of your bad breath and develop a personalized treatment plan for you.
5. Pus or Abscesses: Pus or abscesses near your gums indicate advanced gum disease and require immediate attention from a periodontist. They will determine the extent of the infection and provide appropriate treatment, such as scaling or periodontal surgery, to eliminate the infection and restore your health.
In case you notice any of the signs mentioned above, it’s essential to schedule an appointment with a periodontist, recommends the best dental doctor in Newtown. The former can assess your oral health, provide a personalized treatment plan, and help you maintain healthy gums.