A type of uncomfortable condition is dry skin. Scaling, cracking and itching in the skin indicate this condition. However, it is not anything serious. You can get relief from this condition if you follow the instructions of a skin specialist in Kolkata. One can have naturally dry skin. Even if anyone has oily skin, he/she can sometimes develop dry skin. This condition can occur in any area of your body. The areas that mostly get affected are hands, arms and legs.
In some persons, dry skin is a temporary condition whereas, in some others, it is a lifelong condition. Depending on your age, health and location, the symptoms may vary. The time one spends outdoors and the cause of the problem are the other factors on which the symptoms depend. The following are some of the symptoms:
- Skin feeling tight, especially after bathing, showering or swimming
- Skin having a rough look and feel
- Slight or severe scaling, flaking or peeling
- Itchy skin (Pruritus)
- Gray, ashy skin
- Cracks or fine lines
- Bleeding from deep cracks
The environmental condition can often cause dry skin. It can also be the result of certain diseases. Some potential causes of dry skin are:
- Weather: During the winter season, when the temperatures and humidity levels fall, skin becomes dry.
- Harsh soaps and detergents: There are many soaps, detergents and shampoos, which remove moisture from your skin, making it dry.
- Heat: Space heaters, fireplaces and central heating systems reduce humidity and dry your skin.
- Hot baths and showers: Your skin can become dry if you take hot showers or baths for a long time.
- Other skin conditions: Those people who have skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis are prone to dry skin.
The specialist attached to the Newtown dermatology clinic normally carries out a physical exam and also ask you some questions about your symptoms and lifestyle. He/she will also check your medical history. You may need to go for certain tests, which will help the doctor to detect whether the dryness of your skin is the result of certain underlying conditions.
If you are suffering from a skin disease that results in dry skin, the doctor may prescribe some medicines or suggest other treatments. There can sometimes be dermatitis due to dry skin. For treating this condition, the doctor may ask you to use lotions containing hydrocortisone. The following measures can also help in making your skin moist and healthy.
- Use moisturizers: An effective way to lock moisture in your skin is by the use of moisturizers. The best dermatologist in Kolkata also recommends this.
- Avoid harsh soaps: Try to use mild soaps that contain moisturizing oils. You can also use shower gels containing added moisturizers.
- Choose fabrics comfortable for your skin: You should use those fabrics that allow your skin to breathe.